Summer is the perfect time of year for salads made with produce from your own garden or from a farmers market near you. Here’s a simple Caprese Salad recipe that will knock your socks off. Warning – this should only be made with the freshest possible ingredients! Inspired by a trip to Kauai, this Caprese Salad Recipe is fantastic!
Caprese Salad Recipe
- 4 large fresh tomatoes of your choosing and a handfull. There are many varieties available out there so pick the ones that you like best. Typically we try to use a variety of colors and sizes to make it more visually appealing. If you haven't tried yellow or orange tomatoes next time you come across some, give them a try! We really like using a mixture of red and orange roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 2 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1/ teaspoon salt coarse salt works better
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper freshly cracked is best
- 6 Large fresh basil leaves
- Fresh buffalo mozzarella or burrata mozzarella
- The quantities above are for good sized portions for two people.
- Choose a bowl or platter for the salad.
- Wash all the tomatoes and the basil.
- Pat all the ingredients dry or let air dry before proceeding to the other steps.
- Cut the larger tomatoes into wedges
- Cut the smaller tomatoes into halves
- Place all the cut tomatoes into the bowl or platter that you have picked
- Salt the tomatoes - this step we have determined, after many attempts, is critical
- Tear the mozzarella ball into bite sized pieces and sprinkle over the salad
- Drizzle a decent amount of olive oil over the tomatoes and cheese
- Drizzle about the same amount of balsamic vinegar over the salad. For best results, use good quality balsamic vinegar. Balsamic reduction is even better.
- Tear the fresh basil and sprinkle over the salad.
- Crack some fresh black pepper to taste over the salad.