This choco-macaroon muffin recipe is one of our favorites. It’s chocolaty with a gooey coconut center and quick and easy to make. In downtown Calgary, there used to be a charming little café called Bumpy’s that had the best muffins in town. One of our favorites was a muffin very similar to this recipe.
Since they closed, we have been craving good muffins. We haven’t found anywhere in town that even comes close. So, we have resorted to baking at home. After a few attempts, we finally think that we have found a recipe that is close to theirs.
So, if you like muffins, chocolate and coconut, give these Choco-Macaroon Muffin recipe a try!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk – any milk that you have on hand will work. I have used skim milk 2% milk, almond milk and the muffins turned out well every time
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sweetened coconut plus a bit more for tops of muffins
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl combine the sweetened condensed milk with the 1 cup of coconut. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, egg, milk and vegetable oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until moistened. Be careful not to over stir or the gluten in the flour can form elastic gluten strands which will result in a more dense, chewy texture.
- Ensure that your muffin pan is greased or muffin liners are inserted for 9 muffins if you are making standard sized muffins.
- Spoon enough batter to cover the bottom of each muffin.
- Place a tablespoonful of the coconut mixture in each muffin cup.
- Top each muffin with the remaining batter.
- If desired, sprinkle some coconut on each uncooked muffin.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes.
- Let muffins cool a bit and enjoy.
These muffins can be stored up to 3 days, if you don’t eat them all. But, they definitely are best still slightly warm.
If you are craving sweets and are looking for other great recipes, below are a few of our favorites:
Finally, if you have any muffin recipes that we should be trying out, comment below!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.