We recently took a cocktail making class and while experimenting, we created this Hawaiian Whiskey Sour recipe. What makes a cocktail a sour? It requires the three S’s – the Strong, Sour and Sweet.
A variety of spirits can be used but in this case, the strong is Paniolo Whiskey that we picked up during our last visit to Maui. The sour is pineapple juice. And the sweet, simple syrup that we made. It’s just equal parts water and sugar, brought to a boil and cooled. Dead easy to make and no cooking skills required.
Also, we opted to add egg white. Traditionally, this is added to a sour drink to make it rich and foamy. But, truly we wanted to practice our skills and make it look fancy. During our class we learned that adding egg white to a cocktail requires two rounds of shaking. First without the ice. This is known as a “dry shake”. And again, with ice added to the mixture.
Additionally, a classic cocktail should be served in the perfect glass. We opted for a coupe since it looks fancy. In case you don’t know what it is, it’s a stemmed glass featuring a broad, shallow bowl. It’s also known as the Champagne Coupe or the Champagne saucer.
Hawaiian Whiskey Sour
- 2 ounces Whiskey
- 3/4 ounces Pineapple Juice
- 3/4 ounces Simple Syrup
- 1 Egg White
- Crack one fresh egg and add only the white to a clean cocktail shaker.
- Measure the simple syrup and pineapple juice and add to the shaker.
- Add the correct amount of your favorite Whiskey to the shaker as well.
- Place the lid on the shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
- Remove lid and add a generous amount of ice to the shaker.
- Again, place the lid on the shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
- Double strain the contents of the strainer, pouring into your favorite cocktail glass.
- To ensure that this cocktail is as smooth as possible, after shaking, the mixture should be double strained. To double strain, place your regular strainer in or on the cocktail shaker and hold a fine mesh strainer by its handle over your glass.
Finally, we have learned that to make great cocktails, having the right tools can be very helpful. Click here to read all about the ones that we think every home bartender should have.
Looking for another whisky cocktail recipe? Give our Honey Orange Whisky Refresher a try. It’s delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.